Sunday, May 18, 2008

Beaver Fever!

Sometime between late last fall and early this spring, beaver(s) have moved in to Landrus. Now, I have heard and read plenty of stories about beaver from the old days of town, but never in my 6 odd years at Landrus have I seen so much beaver activity!

The beavers have chewed down a large
number of small trees as far upstream as the waterfall about my baptismal hole. There is a HUGE new network of beaver trails, some I will certainly use as part of my trail system, but overall their whole setup is just a bit excessive. I was impressed, yet worried when I saw that they had gobbled up the tops of every single briar between the falls and their mound.

I'm also not too sure about their choice of location for their damn/home/mound thingee. It's right at the mouth of a very narrow section with small rapids. So far, it is only extending about a third of the way into the creek, but I'm watching it! The photo at the top was taken about 2 months ago. The other photo of the same location below (with my husband) was taken a week ago and the mound is clearly growing. (the other photo in the middle shows the gouged "trail" to the mound on the creek bank)

No comments: